Senator Daniel Squadron described how the ethics reforms package [Bill S06064 and S06157] he is sponsoring with Senate Majority Conference Leader John L. Sampson would assist in stopping the alleged corruption that placed former Senate Majority Leader Joseph L. Bruno on trial.
The "Squadron/Sampson package" received support from the Citizens Union of the City of New York, Common Cause, the League of Women Voters of New York State, the New York Public Interest Research Group and various other good government and reform groups across the state.
The reform package would institute these reforms:
- New reporting requirements for consulting services
- Increased transparency of public officials' business dealing with lobbyists
- Increased financial disclosure
- Independent investigations
- Random reviews of disclosure forms